Who was Lottie Moon?
Lottie Moon - the namesake of the international missions offering - has become something of a legend to us. But in her time Lottie was anything but an untouchable hero. In fact, she was like today's missionaries. She was a hard-working, deep-loving Southern Baptist who labored tirelessly so her people group could know Jesus.
Why was the offering named for this early China missionary? Throughout her career, Lottie Moon wrote numerous letters home, urging Southern Baptists to greater missions involvement and support. One of those letters triggered Southern Baptists' first Christmas offering for international missions - enough to send three new missionaries to China.
Some facts re. the Lottie Moon Offering:
1. 6,438 people groups are unreached for Jesus Christ; total population 3.7 billion
2. Many are responding to the Gospel; more than 400,000 baptisms overseas
3. More than 5,000 IMB missionaries’ ministries depend on Lottie Moon
4. 100 percent of the offering supports missionaries overseas
5. Sacrificial giving enables the church to actively participate in missions